Have you ever wondered how chefs come up with the dishes, flavors, concepts and more for their restaurants? Chef Maria Hines traveled to Istanbul, Lebanon and Egypt to research the food and cultures for her second restaurant, Golden Beetle, which recently opened in February. The Eastern Mediterranean restaurant serves elevated street food with a sustainable conscience, noted by Maria’s Oregon Tilth certification and her use of local meats and farmed vegetables.
Maria appeared on KING 5’s New Day Northwest to show off some of her travel pics and tempt us with some of the dishes, including marinated olives, spiced almonds and spinach cigars!
Check Off Your Holiday List Here! 12.15.10
With just 10 short days until Christmas we wanted to do our part in making things a little easier on you. And so we present… our Holiday Gift Guide! Shop online or pop into one of the businesses below to check off your list in a snap with stocking stuffers, desserts, dining and more!
In search of a unique gift for that chocolate lover on your gift list? Maria Hines has teamed up with seven of her West Coast chef friends and the chocolatiers at Theo Chocolate to give you that unique gift this holiday season! The Chef Session gift box features the following chefs and each of their chocolaty morsels, which they created themselves in the kitchen at Theo Chocolate.
• Maria Hines (Tilth in Seattle, WA) Tamarind Lime Chile Caramel
• Chris Cosentino (Incanto & Boccalone Salumeria in San Francisco, CA) Agro Dolce Brittle
• Naomi Pomeroy (Beast in Portland, OR) Armagnac Prune Ganache & Green Peppercorn Caramel
• Gabriel Rucker (Le Pigeon in Portland, OR) Carrot caramel
• Holly Smith (Café Juanita in Seattle, WA) Candied Beet & Almond Praline
• Jonathan Sundstrom (Lark & Licorous in Seattle, WA) Pine Resin Ganache
• Jerry Traunfeld (Poppy in Seattle, WA) Huckleberry Pâte du Fruit & Cinnamon Basil White Ganache
As if this deal couldn’t get any sweeter, $15 of each box will go to Food Lifeline, dedicated to ending hunger in Western Washington. Purchase Theo Chef Session online.
Crush entices you to keep a little something for yourself this gift giving season. When you purchase $500 in gift certificates at Crush (any denomination), Crush will gift you a $100 gift card! Thank yourself for giving smart by treating yourself to Chef Jason Wilson’s enticing and award-winning menu. After all, he’s not the James Beard 2010 winner for nothing, right?
If you feel so inclined to give even more, then gift that $100 gift card to another lucky person on your list. Hopefully they will take you when redeeming! See the menu that you could be giving this holiday season. Email CRUSH or call CRUSH at 206.302.7874 for additional information.
Shopping and holidays, holidays and shopping… the perfect pair no matter how you say it and Mario’s knows a thing or two about shopping. Celebrating their 50th holiday season this year, here are a few of their favorite (and must-have) holiday gifts for him and her!
• Artfully designed earrings by Dean Harris
• Brunello Cucinelli Cashmere Sweaters
• Wonderfully fragrant candles from Lafco
• Vince and Inhabit knit tops
• Perfectly Prada nylon cosmetic bag
• Ermenegildo Zegna sport shirts
• Cashmere sweaters from Loro Piana
• A Hugo Boss 2 in 1 jacket
• Vintage polos from Lacoste
• Hudson jeans in the perfect fit
Visit Mario’s for locations in Seattle, Portland and Mario’s 3.10 at Bridgeport Village.
Morton’s The Steakhouse is known for serving up big, juicy Prime steaks, fresh seafood, generous savory sides, and desserts… hungry yet? All that giving you’re doing is working up quite the appetite and to reward you Morton’s is gifting $50 for every $300 or $100 for every $500 you spend this season on gift cards. Available online or at any Morton’s location. And don’t forget Morton’s other fabulous gifts for the steak lover in your life!
• Morton’s Cookbook Vol. I – Morton’s Steak Bible
• Morton’s Cookbook Vol. II – Morton’s The Cookbook
• Morton’s Cajun seasoning salt
• Morton’s custom crafted, wood-handled steak knives
• Morton’s Titleist Pro V1® golf balls with Morton’s logo
All of this and more available for purchase online.
Pike and Western Wine Shop
Are you shopping local in the Pike Place Market? Need a hostess gift, stocking stuffer or something that will impress? Pike and Western Wine Shop, nestled on the Northeast corner of the Pike Place Market makes it easy for you to pick up that special bottle of wine while shopping downtown or picking up the latest fisherman’s catch or fresh from the farm product. Owner Michael Teer and his team have been pairing people with the perfect bottle of holiday dinner wine, celebratory bubbly, or perfect gift for over 35 years. With wines from around the world and in our own backyard and many special for this season, let them pair a bottle or two for you! See new arrivals, what has the staff intrigued and the hot buys that you can’t pass up this holiday season here. Stop by at 1934 Pike Place, Seattle or call 206.441.1307
Get a jump start on your New Year’s resolution with Pure Barre, an amazing fitness technique that combines Pilates, ballet and weights into a kick-butt workout! Perfect for the fitness buff in your life or for those looking to get back in to shape and mix things up! Pure Barre has tons of ways to work out at home or at the studio. Pick up a special class package deal and some new workout duds and you’ll be the star come Christmas morning! Visit Pure Barre Bellevue or Seattle online to get started!
• pb DVD’s ($18)
• pb socks ($12)
• pb pilates ring ($18)
• pb resistance balls ($20)
• Splits 59 ribbed tanks ($35)
• Mondetta Performance leggings ($65)
• Alternative Apparel Burnout tank ($25)
TAGS: Ballet, chocolate, Christmas, Crush, Fitness, gifts, holiday shopping, Mario's, Morton's The Steakhouse Portland, Morton's The Steakhouse Seattle, New Year's, Pike and Western Wine Shop, Pilates, Pure Barre Bellevue, Pure Barre Seattle, Seattle Restaurants, shopping, Tilth, Weights, Wine,